- Wisterias blooming in autumn
Wisterias at Jinyinhu area Photo by Li Yonggang
By Wang Yaxin
The hot summer days have just passed. In the streets of Wuhan, however, flowers that are supposed to blossom in spring, like cherry blossoms, begonias, and wisterias, are in bloom this autumn.
The begonias in Xiaonanhu Park offer up a striking display of pink and white petals. In Houxianghe Park, the crape myrtle that should blossom in mid April and May are flowering again. Viburnum flowers in Zhongshan Park are bursting into bloom on the branches, while cotton roses are blossoming three months in advance in Changqing Park and Heping Park.
Li Peng, director of the Flower and Ground Covers Office of Wuhan Municipal Research Institute for Landscape Gardening, says the abnormal phenomenon stems from an abnormal climate, because since August Wuhan has endured consistently high temperatures and little rain. Moreover, the sudden temperature fall before August made some plants mistake this autumn for spring.
- City life more
- Culture more
- Home in Wuhan more
- Volunteering internationally popular for local students
- First Yangtze River crossing competition starts in 1934
- Farewell Wuhan from Nepalese medical graduates
- 9th birthday celebration for Weiwei the panda
- Wuhan ranks 2nd on City Friendly Interaction Index